Sunday, September 6, 2009

Antelope Island Balloon Festival


Good morning sunshine.
D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens, f14, 1/250 sec., ISO 200







I dragged my family out of bed early Saturday morning to see the kite and balloon festival on Antelope Island. We had gotten there early with hopes for good weather and early flights. The wind was blowing, nothing was flying, and I was getting dirty looks. Thankfully a break, from the wind and dirty looks! I crossed my fingers, while the balloonist laid out there crafts and began to inflate, when you guest it, the wind came back!

Cameras of all types began to click and capture the colorful balloons filling with hot air. Some managed to fill and begin to stand only to struggle with the wind blowing them back and forth like sea grass in the current. I recognized many of the faces behind the cameras. A few I work with, others are regular customers. I'm sure I will get to see some great pictures. If the wind quits blowing and they stick around longer than I can. Antelope Island can provide specular opportunities for capturing wildlife, and landscape photos.

Pictured above, I watched this man fight to keep his feet planted and the balloon in position. He lost the fight! We all did! Not one balloon would take flight and it was time to go. I needed to be at work and my children needed some breakfast. May-be next year we will have better luck. D50, 18-50mm f2.8 lens, f/8, 1/160 sec., ISO 200.

2 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Great shots David. What a shame the wind spoilt the day a bit though.

Miranda McAfee said...

Too Bad you didn't really get to see them fly. It was a great setting for the balloons. I was a bit disappointed they were on the west side of the island which didn't allow for the sunrise over the water shots I had dreamed of... but, it was fun.